Between pandemics and climate change, the future of global food security is precarious. Foresight approaches can inform decisions about investment in research and development, strategies, and policies to support future food security, climate adaptation and mitigation, and environmental sustainability. To this end, the CGIAR Foresight team sought to compile studies, particularly review papers, that contribute to a clearer understanding of the future of food security and food systems, and what trade offs exist around these challenges.
The CGIAR Foresight Team contributed to and leveraged a USAID-funded analysis examining several large-scale options for investment in agriculture. The team examined a variety of perspectives around the future of agriculture, and produced this special issue for Global Food Security on “Foresight modeling to inform agricultural research and investment”. See the individual publications here:
- Prager, S. D., & Wiebe, K. (2021). Strategic foresight for agriculture: Past ghosts, present challenges, and future opportunities. Global Food Security, 28, 100489.
- Brooks, K., & Place, F. (2019). Global food systems: Can foresight learn from hindsight? Global Food Security, 20, 66-71.
- Chan, C. Y., Tran, N., Pethiyagoda, S., Crissman, C. C., Sulser, T. B., & Phillips, M. J. (2019). Prospects and challenges of fish for food security in Africa. Global Food Security, 20, 17-25.
- Enahoro, D., Mason-D’Croz, D., Mul, M., Rich, K. M., Robinson, T. P., Thornton, P., & Staal, S. S. (2019). Supporting sustainable expansion of livestock production in South Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa: Scenario analysis of investment options. Global Food Security, 20, 114-121.
- Frija, A., Chebil, A., Mottaleb, K. A., Mason-D’Croz, D., & Dhehibi, B. (2020). Agricultural growth and sex-disaggregated employment in Africa: Future perspectives under different investment scenarios. Global Food Security, 24, 100353.
- Kruseman, G., Mottaleb, K. A., Tesfaye, K., Bairagi, S., Robertson, R., Mandiaye, D., … Prager, S. D. (2020). Rural Transformation and the Future of Cereal-Based Agri-Food Systems. Global Food Security, 26, 100441.
- Petsakos, A., Prager, S. D., Gonzalez, C. E., Gama, A. C., Sulser, T. B., Gbegbelegbe, S., … & Hareau, G. (2019). Understanding the consequences of changes in the production frontiers for roots, tubers and bananas. Global food security, 20, 180-188